Microgrid · ESS
A next generation smart grid that optimizes energy efficiency through bilateral exchange of real time information between power suppliers and consumers by grafting ICT technology into the existing power grid is built. In addition, energy stability and efficiency are further improved through a large capacity energy storage system through which energy is stored for use when needed.
The entire process including power generation by utilizing renewable energy in islands or industrial complexes and design, establishment, and operation of independent power grid to store the electric power produced can be performed.
- Consulting services such as load analysis, system interpretation, efficiency diagnosis, etc., are provided.
- Energy efficiency is optimized by analyzing use patterns through our own solution.
- Integrated engineering service for the design/establishment of stable power grid based on a decentralized power supply system is provided.
Jeju Smart Grid Test Bed, Establishment of microgrid in Sinan Palgeumdo Island and Jeju Gapado Island
Energy Storage System (ESS)
Electric power produced at night when the electricity is cheap is stored using large capacity energy storage system and supplied at peak time; energy efficiency is improved by stabilizing the energy supply of new renewable energy with unstable output.
- Battery: Electrical energy is stored in the form of chemical energy with high energy density and high reaction rate
- Power Conditioning System: Bilateral power conversion between AC side power system and DC side battery
- Power Management System: Real time monitoring and control of charging and discharging, system condition, etc.
Detailed Block Diagram
- Applicable to any process such as power generation, transmission, transformation, and distribution
- Easily extensible up to scores of MW through the combination of unit package such as 200kW, 500kW, 1MW, etc.
- Enables combining renewable energy and ESS in order to improve the quality and reliability of the existing electric power system
- Normal operation is enabled by operating multiple systems in parallel in the event of irregularities of part of the system
- Electric power can be stably supplied even in the event of unexpected power failure or shortage of power.
- Energy cost can be saved through the combination of renewable energy such as photovoltaic or wind with ESS.
- Electric power of good quality can be consistently supplied by adjusting the unstable power of renewable energy.
- Backup power is secured, and power plants are substituted through the adjustment of frequencies of the existing power system.
Jeju Smart Grid Test Bed, LG Chemistry Ochang Factory, POSCO Center, Pohang Ironworks, Kitamori factory and R&D center of Japan’s Edison Power
As a demand response business operator, POSCO ICT calculates the optimum contract capacity by analyzing the characteristics of the customer’s place of business and proposes an optimum demand reduction strategy to ensure that customers can get maximum compensation at the time of actual reduction by the request of Korea Power Exchange. Customers can save on energy cost by reducing power and generate additional profits by participating in the project.
- Diagnosis and consulting: Calculation of optimum capacity reduction after analysis of power load pattern of the customer’s business place
- Risk management: Creation and operation of optimum resource portfolio suitable for the customer’s load pattern and reduction facilities in preparation for the contract amount and penalty
- Management of settled amount: Transparent payment and management of settled amount based on stable financial structure
- Demand Response Management System(DRMS): Real time provision of electric power use and power reduction amount of customers responding to demand; confirmation of details of settlement depending on the result
- If selected as a demand response business operator, a basic fund is paid each month; incentive is additionally paid when actual reduction is made by the request of Korea Power Exchange.
- Basic fund = Registered capacity X 40,761won/kw (for 2015)
- Incentive = Amount of reduction X Maximum unit price of power generation (150~200 won/kWh)
- Electricity bill and CO2emission saving resulting from energy saving