Microgrid · ESS
POSCO ICT provides supporting functions when deploying microgrids that are capable of independently producing and consuming energy through power generated using renewable energy sources and sending the energy output to large-scale ESS for storage.
The entire process including power generation by utilizing renewable energy in islands or industrial complexes and design, establishment, and operation of independent power grid to store the electric power produced can be performed.
- Consulting services such as load analysis, system interpretation, efficiency diagnosis, etc., are provided.
- Energy efficiency is optimized by analyzing use patterns through our own solution.
- Integrated engineering service for the design/establishment of stable power grid based on a decentralized power supply system is provided.
Jeju Smart Grid Test Bed, Establishment of microgrid in Sinan Palgeumdo Island and Jeju Gapado Island
Energy Storage System (ESS)
Electric power produced at night when the electricity is cheap is stored using large capacity energy storage system and supplied at peak time; energy efficiency is improved by stabilizing the energy supply of new renewable energy with unstable output.
- Battery: Electrical energy is stored in the form of chemical energy with high energy density and high reaction rate
- Power Conditioning System: Bilateral power conversion between AC side power system and DC side battery
- Power Management System: Real time monitoring and control of charging and discharging, system condition, etc.
Detailed Block Diagram
- Applicable to any process such as power generation, transmission, transformation, and distribution
- Easily extensible up to scores of MW through the combination of unit package such as 200kW, 500kW, 1MW, etc.
- Enables combining renewable energy and ESS in order to improve the quality and reliability of the existing electric power system
- Normal operation is enabled by operating multiple systems in parallel in the event of irregularities of part of the system
- Electric power can be stably supplied even in the event of unexpected power failure or shortage of power.
- Energy cost can be saved through the combination of renewable energy such as photovoltaic or wind with ESS.
- Electric power of good quality can be consistently supplied by adjusting the unstable power of renewable energy.
- Backup power is secured, and power plants are substituted through the adjustment of frequencies of the existing power system.
Jeju Smart Grid Test Bed, LG Chemistry Ochang Factory, POSCO Center, Pohang Ironworks, Kitamori factory and R&D center of Japan’s Edison Power